Report: Glasshoughton Welfare 1 – 2 Selby Town

October 18, 2020

NCEL Division One – 17th October 2020

At long last The Robins registered their first league win of the season at the sixth time of asking. An assured, although at the end, a nervous performance, meant that the win was well deserved in the end. Selby Town are aware that even better performances will be needed to climb up the league. 

As regards team news, the back line welcomed back Ryan Gothard from injury and, for his first appearance of the season, Josh Rogerson at right back. Danny Snaith was providing cover in the midfield along with new signing Danny Davison, and Charlie Clamp. Up front, returnee Flynn McNaughton partnered Liam Flanagan, and Brad Freer. 

All in all, the new, and returning men, had good games giving the team a solidity at the back and midfield, coupled with an edge up front that has been much lacking so far. For a change,goalkeeper Dylan Parkin’s work was mainly routine, rather than needing to be spectacular. 

From the kick off it was Glasshoughton that pressed forward, without being able to create a goal chance. The Welfare were soon rocked by a Selby goal from virtually their first attack. This huge psychological blow, had more than an element of good fortune about it. The ball was played from Dylan Parkin into Ryan Gothard, and he found a superb long cross field pass to Brad Freer loitering with intent, wide on the left wing. He eagerly cut inside before unleashing his shot. The shot didn’t appear to have the venom, nor the direction that the attacker might have wanted. It looked as if the goalkeeper was in a good position to make a save, until a scrambling defender diverted the ball into the opposite corner of the net, giving Lewis French in The Welfare goal absolutely no chance. 

Glasshoughton attempted to roar back, and had a good spell of pressure. Town’s defence and midfield stood firm. Inevitably Glasshoughton did fashion some chances. An attempted chip just wasn’t quite good enough to beat Dylan Parkin. The ball fell to Glasshoughton’s Sam Nelson in the penalty area. A sharp chance, and he rocked back, as the defenders closed in, sending the ball over the bar. Another Glasshoughton snap shot cleared the Selby bar.  

Whilst the defenders were doing their job, Selby’s attackers were causing the opposition problems. A forceful run from Flynn McNaughton ended with a shot wide. Brad Freer almost set Liam Flanagan free with a pass behind the defence. 

A rehearsed play from a Glasshoughton corner saw a dummied ball reach a man at the edge of the area, only for the shot to fly over the top once again. After the inconsistent referee had spoken to players of both sides without booking them following tackles, he could not ignore a studs up tackle earning a Glasshoughton man a yellow card. It could have been worse. It wasn’t long before another Glasshoughton man earned the referee’s ire with a yellow card. 

With Danny Snaith doing a good job of mopping up pressure in front of his back four, it gave the Robins a platform to spray their passes around, generally controlling midfield. The only criticism could be that the control did not produce enough goal chances. Liam Flanagan almost got Brad Freer clear, but he was crowded out. Flynn McNaughton was proving a bustling pain in the side of the Glasshoughton defence shooting over the top on one occasion, and having an attempt scrambled away for corner by harassed defenders on another. 

A goal ahead at halftime. Smiles on the faces of the Selby faithful.

Just after halftime, and the referee, who wasn’t a favourite of either side, caused yet more controversy. Glasshoughton’s Connor Glavin expressed his views rather too forcefully for the referee’s liking, and earned himself a spell in the sin bin as a result. 

As Selby pushed forward to make the most of the man advantage Liam Flanagan smashed in a shot which the Glasshoughton goalkeeper did very well to push away for a corner. From the resulting set piece Cam Collins had a shot which bounced just in front of the ‘keeper causing him a heart stopping fumble. Brad Freer sent Liam Flanagan clear, but the Glasshoughton defenders just managed to crowd him out. 

As Selby continued to look sharp Ryan Gothard found Liam Flanagan at the far post with a cross. The ball was headed back inside for Flynn McNaughton to hit on the volley. It would have been a spectacular goal, but unfortunately the shot was high and wide. Flynn McNaughton then nearly returned the favour for his strike partner. 

Glasshoughton Welfare, try as they might, were finding it hard to mount attacks, although an alarming free header from a set piece, caused concern for the Selby faithful. 

Finally Town managed to make their superiority count. A spell of pressure on the Glasshoughton penalty area saw Danny Snaith thread a pass into Charlie Clamp in the inside right channel. The perfect low cross found Liam Flanagan in full stride at the edge of the six yard box. At point blank range he wasn’t going to miss.  

Glasshoughton tried to respond. A chance fell to a man near the penalty spot. There was no time to pick his spot as the defenders rushed to close him down. Unfortunately for him, his effort was straight at Dylan Parkin who was glad to clasp the ball to his chest. 

The Welfare made substitutions replacing Connor Glavin, andAshley Bell with Nicholas Lalousis, and Joe Milner. 

As they tried to pressurise the Selby goal, a breakaway allowed Liam Flanagan to net, but he was clearly offside. 

Glasshoughton then got the break that they were looking for. A soft push by Josh Rogerson earned him a booking, and Glasshoughton a penalty. The penalty was taken by Mark Ferguson, only for Dylan Parkin to make a save with his feet. Cue Selby celebrations, but cut short by the linesman who suggested the goalkeeper had left his line. The referee then booked the goalkeeper, apparently for over celebrating his save. Astounding from the man in the middle, who generally had a nightmare.

The penalty was retaken and this time the taker made no mistake sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

Not surprisingly Glasshoughton pushed for an equaliser leading to some anxious moments in the Selby defence. 

Joe Matique, and Ryan Cooper came on in place of the tiring Brad Freer, and Charlie Clamp. They spent most of their time on the pitch in defending the Selby lead. 

However, Town had one more chance to make the game absolutely safe. Flynn McNaughton was played in behind Glasshoughton’s defensive high line. The linesman seemed to be indicating that he believed the Selby player to be onside, only to raise his flag after the player thought he had opened his scoring account with the club. 

Town saw off the last few, nervous minutes, to earn that long awaited win. 

Selby are next in action on Tuesday evening at Hall Road Rangers. A tough game is in prospect, so the team would appreciate all the support that they can get over in Hull. 

Glasshoughton Welfare: Lewis French, Fidel Mhlolo, Matthew Cunliffe, Craig Tonkinson, Adam Walsh, Aaron Gray, Mark Ferguson, Samuel Nelson, Connor Glavin, Nathan Perks, Ashley Bell.  

Substitutes: Nicholas Lalousis, Joe Milner, Regan Dixon, Jordan Carter. 

Selby Town: Dylan Parkin, Josh Rogerson, Jon-Paul Vass, Danny Snaith, Ryan Gothard ©, Cam Collins, Charlie Clamp, Dan Davison, Liam Flanagan, Flynn McNaughton, Brad Freer.

Substitutes: Ryan Cooper, Reuben Pearse, Joe Matique, Brett Lucas, Liam Preston.  

Comments 6

  1. Lisa Parkin

    Wow. A booking for celebrating saving a penalty what a joke. Think the officials were the worst I’ve seen this season. But well done selby a better performance and nice to get a win.

  2. W. Fieldhouse

    This game was close. In the first half, I thought Glasshoughton played well but finished badly. The young lad, on the wall, was busiest, retrieving the ball back from main road, due to the miss hits from Glasshoughton.
    However, the home team stood off ST,and allowed them to play football to feet, Which suited the ST team. Also the back four was as strong as they could be.

    The second half, although the back four were strong, I thought they reverted to long balls, which the Glasshoughton pairing of 5 & 6, mopped up.
    The midfield became slacker, and the gap between defence & forwards became wider.

    For me Liam Flanagan, although top scorer, disappears too much, especially in the first half of every match,I have seen.
    In midfield, I would like to see Liam Preston introduced, I think his natural aggression, especially in the 2 nd half, would fill the void.
    As a matter of note, I thought the officials were poor & missed a lot, especially in the first 20 minutes.
    I do hope the match moderator, several seats from me, took notice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Next Match

Twitter Update

© Selby Town FC 2020